During this time of year, resolutions abound. Workouts are to become more regular; sugar is to be eliminated; patience with our kids is to be sought after…the list can go on and on.
But before getting bogged down with all the separate “should” intentions on your list, you may want to consider setting one goal that incorporates them all - in a realistic and loving way.
That is, to simply prioritize yourself.
How does that feel to read those words?
Does it take the pressure off? Does it make you let out a deep breath and remind you that you matter? Does it feel kind and loving to yourself?
We hope so! This is why we are sharing:
Our top 20 ways to prioritize yourself in the upcoming year!
1. Meditate. We love meditation apps that walk you a variety of options depending on how much time you have. Meditationoasis.com is one of our favorite resources! You can learn more about meditation as well as find some of the best apps available.
2. Say Thank You…To Yourself. It’s easy to come down on ourselves - for raising our voice
to our kids; for forgetting to get that work email out; for eating that extra piece of cake; but when was the last time you thanked yourself? For working hard, for getting the laundry done, for reaching for an apple instead of the donut? Try it. Now.
3. Attend Community Acupuncture. This holistic therapy is exceptional for lowering cortisol levels from stress, calming your nervous system, and even helping you sleep better. By balancing the body’s qi (energy), weekly, monthly, or even quarterly appointments can do wonders for your daily life.
4. Try Cupping. Loosen your muscles with cupping. Paired with an acupuncture appointment, be prepared to feel relaxed and rejuvenated!
5. Play a Game with Your Kids. Even though you may feel like plopping down on the couch and turning on the television, opt for a board game, puzzle, or a round of tag outside first.
6. Walk. Take a break from the gym or get out of the house and go for a walk. Not only is it great movement, but can help you think more clearly.
7. Try a Hyperbaric Series. Not sure what hyperbaric oxygen therapy is? Click here and read more. You may find it interesting that it is a safe therapy that can help treat diseases and injuries as well as the effects of aging.
8. Do a 10 Minute HIIT Routine. Don’t have an hour to spend on a workout? No worries! Try a 10 minute HIIT (high intensity interval training) routine at home or at the gym for a great workout in very little time! Need help finding one? Copy and paste this link for one we love: nytimes.com/guides/well/strength-training-plyometrics
9. Practice Yoga. Whether it’s at a studio or your home, yoga can help you feel grounded and calm. Search for free yoga sessions on YouTube to try some out!
10. Do an Art Project. Put your creative side to use and try mosaic, painting, or pottery. Or, opt for something with your kids - even making homemade play dough can be a wonderful family project.
11. Try Microneedling. Refresh your skin by encouraging new collagen growth, smoothing and toning with microneedling.
12. Grow Your Own Superfood. Yes, you can! Get out your gardening gloves and plant a superfood, such as kale, in your garden or a pot. Enjoy the process and the food!
13. Add a Leafy Green Into Your Breakfast. Whether in a smoothie, your omelet, on top of toast, or in a baked good, get some sort of green into your diet first thing in the morning.
14. Say Thank You Before Eating. Extending your appreciation for food and nutrients can put meaning in your and your family’s day. Try one of these blessings that Dr. De Soto does with her kids:
"We say thank you for our food. For rest and home and all things good. For wind and rain and sun above, but most of all for those we love. Thank you.”
"Blessings on the blossom, blessings on the fruit, blessings on the leaf and stem, blessings on the root."
15. Choose a Piece of Fruit Over a Sweet. Have a piece of fresh fruit on hand as much as possible - for when bagels arrive at the office or for after dinner instead of dessert.
16. Hydrate for Anti-Aging. Drink at least 3-4 liters a day and add an electrolyte supplement once a day.
17. Support Your Skin. Use a retinol product on the skin each night.
18. Reduce Sun Exposure. Wear a big floppy hat to avoid sun exposure on the face when possible.
19. Share Your Feelings with a Friend. Begin to process your feelings and emotions by sitting with them. This may mean sharing with a spouse, friend, or professional - and most importantly, yourself.
20. Keep a Journal. You may try many things in 2020 - some that work and some that don’t. Keep track of your progress, your feelings, and your overall health by journaling your journey to optimal health.
No matter what you choose to do to prioritize yourself in 2020, make sure it honors one thing:
that you are important.
You matter. Your stress levels; your interests; your diet; your relaxation time. All of these things are crucial to living your best life.
Are you ready to begin prioritizing yourself and would like our support?
If you live in the Kailua-Kona area and would like to schedule an appointment or to talk with our team, please call us at (808) 638-3343 or click here to learn more about scheduling and our complimentary 15 minute phone consultation to go over your questions.
Make 2020 the year of you and enjoy prioritizing!